ZongshenForum.com
Zongshen Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

Bike Cut Out after starting

leemoore01

• View Profile
My zongshen zs250GS was started the other morning before riding (sidestand switch bypassed with cable tie) .Jumped on the thing to ride away and it hasn't ran since.

I only got the bike last month with 300 miles on it. I cant get a spark from the plug when turning over. I have replaced the coil but can't find a cdi unit in the uk with the correct connections.

Any ideas (I'm in Scotland)

lynchburg

• View Profile
    • Email
Did it quit going down the road? Or did it just not start one day?

leemoore01

• View Profile
Thanks for the reply

I had problems with the battery light flashing and managed to get it going with a push. I charged the battery went out the next morning it started (side stand switch bypassed) then the bike cut out. It has never seen the road since as i striped it down in the garage to investigate. I have tried a new coil but cant seem to source a cdi unit anywhere.

z250gs

• View Profile
Seeing u live in a cool/cold climate and u mention the battery charge light flickering, i'de be looking at the battery as the problem before u replace all the ignition parts. Put a multimeter across the batt terms (ign off) and check volts at least 12volt. If any lower I don't think u have a charged battery and maybe not enough volts to trigger the electronic ignition. Also, check the wiring connector to the rectifier under the seat. I accidentally dislodged it and at idle the charge light stayed on and only went out at high revs. It turned out the wiring connector needed to be pressed home and all was ok. That connector is not real tight on my bike, so I slightly bent the tabs to give it a firmer fit.

Also use the choke to start up. If its cold weather, pull it out half way to full when starting.

Check the oil level isn't too high in the sight glass. You can't check oil level with bike on the side stand, you have to pull it up dead vertical. A lot of riders seem to have overfilled the engine. It only takes a bit over 1 litre. Other bike manufacturers of this engine capacity must have bigger sumps and riders are just tipping more oil in the Zong than it needs.

Check your spark plug and gap. It is type D8EA or DR8EA gapped to 0.6-0.7mm. The gap on mine is critical for smooth idle.

I just googled "Zong uk parts" for spares and the first one that comes up is :  http://www.china-parts.co.uk/    ...They seem to have all the parts in their online catalogue including cdi /coil etc. Have u tried them?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 06:07:50 PM by z250gs »

leemoore01

• View Profile
Thanks for reply

My battery is 12.3 v at the moment. Maybe it's not the cdi as when I switch the ignition on I can feel the environment protect device kicking in. Where are the generator connectors. Do you have any pics that we can compare as I have yet to see a picture of a zongshen like mine. How many connectors does your cdi have.
China parts have made enquiries for me re cdi as the one they list is different

Thanks for info to look out for

lynchburg

• View Profile
    • Email
I agree with z250gs. Replacing parts can get expensive. The best thing to do is start at a point (say the battery) and track your voltage forward at each component verifying voltage all the way to the spark plug. Then back to the stator. Try to isolate the problem rather than guess. Perhaps you have a friendly shop or a mechanic friend that could help. Most of the time it is a simple fix. Paying a skilled mechanic or friend my be cheaper than buying parts.

leemoore01

• View Profile
Agreed also
I'll check voltages tonight and try the battery of the wides yamaha. I will also try another push start

Good advise thanks all

Keep u posted

leemoore01

• View Profile
Forgot to mention bike turns over on starter ok but can't get a spark from the plug

lynchburg

• View Profile
    • Email
I would also take another look at where you zip tied the kickstand switch. Make sure that switch is fully activated. If it has released a little it will crank but not start. Also, the switch on the handlebar will allow it to crank but not start if it is not completely "on".

z250gs

• View Profile
In my earlier post i mean connector to rectifier, LHS (kickstand side ), mounted on frame, connector under seat. Also you used a cable tie at the stand switch to bypass the cutout circuit. Take the seat off and check that u have shorted the circuit at the connector by using your mutimeter. And also check the othrer connectors under the seat. There are several. Press them all home properly. Any loose ones, try to bend the tabs to ensure proper contact. As with lynchburg comments, it sounds like a simple fault such as a bad connector or such.
By the way, one of the members here has produced a nice color coded wiring chart that may be useful (-has been deleted?). Check this link:
http://zongshenforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=89.msg886#msg886

And there is a company called Electrosport that have very detailed flowchart for finding faults on charging systems. It may be useful. Check under their "Tech Resources" tab on the website.
Hope you can sort it out from here!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:18:26 PM by z250gs »

leemoore01

• View Profile
Guys many thanks for your great advice.

I done one better than that i took out the full wiring loom and checked each connector for connectivity at each end right back to each switch etc.

The battery in the yamaha is too small so today after putting back together i gave it a push start and no joy. I disconnected the environment protection device and after a push it fired into life. The cdi box is quite warm but other than that it runs fine but still wont start from the button.

leemoore01

• View Profile
Now i've come to the conclusion that it mustn't be the cdi unit as the bike goes with a push but not of the electric ignition. The electric starter turns everything that it should but bike won't kick in. Could it be the stator or the stator pickup?

z250gs

• View Profile
Wondering if you fixed your issue yet or have u packed it up for winter?
Just one other simple check for you though is I notice you seem to not like the cutout switch in the kickstand so you tied it out. Is that so you can start without sitting on the bike? If so don't forget there is also a no-start switch built into the clutch, so you need to pull the clutch in to get a spark going.

leemoore01

• View Profile
Winters came with a vengance today with 6 inches of snow.

Yes the clutch switch works ok as when you pull it in with the bike in gear it will crank but if it no it will not crank. A supplier in the uk has managed to source a cdi unit which was on the recent import manifest but didnt arrive. Failing that im going to replace the wiring loom and the common cdi unit (8pin) once the better weather comes or whichever is quicker once the cdi from china arrives

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()