ZongshenForum.com
Zongshen Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

starting probelem

soccer_playa1579

• View Profile
    • Email
i seem to have a problem with my gs250! After charging the battery the only way i can get it to start is by pushing it in 2nd.  Dont understand what the problem could be.I dont think it could be the starter cause i feel the exhaust pushing out air. What else could cause this problem?

choylifutsoccer

• View Profile
    • Email
Are you getting a spark when using the electric starter?

soccer_playa1579

• View Profile
    • Email
I dont know.. i dont think so cause when i took the plug out with the wire i put it up against the metal casing and i saw no spark.... could it be that cdi problem?

z250gs

• View Profile
It sounds like you crank the engine but the engine won't start. Do you use the choke? Mine won't start without it. I pull it half way out then it starts first go. Then push it back in after a minute or two. This only applies to the first cold start. Once warmed up it doesn't need choke to restart. Even in summer it just cranks away without starting without the choke.

If your battery is not in good condition or getting a bit old (maybe a few years) you will quickly flatten the battery during cranking.  i don't think it's the cdi or else you wouldn't be able to push start it.  The engine simply can't run without the cdi as it provides the spark. If your battery is getting flat over night though, or not holding charge, you will be able to push start it as you apparently can, but it won't start the next day with the electric starter button (or perhaps even if you stop the engine and try to restart it.).

Does the generator charge light stay on after you push start it? If so the generator may not be charging the battery and therefore you will have a flat battery. In any case if the generator light comes on while you are riding then it suggests a fault in the charging system. eg battery/ generator/ wiring to either. Also, if you are cranking but don't see spark it could be that the cdi isn't getting the right volts/current . Put a multimeter across the battery terms with IGNITION OFF, you should see 12.5 to about 13 volts. If it's any less than 12v the battery is probably not charging properly or not holding charge. My guess is that the cdi needs about 12v minimum to generate sufficient spark to start the engine.  And don't charge your batt with a car charger as you will likely fry the bike battery. If you already did use a car batt charger, you may have damaged the bike batt.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 01:59:30 AM by z250gs »

soccer_playa1579

• View Profile
    • Email
well i dont understand cause i can push start it some times and it will stay on which means theres spark but if i try to auto start it tthen im guessing there is no spark.. soo my guess is whatever i bypass by push starting is the problem cause im not using all the things that the autostart uses by pushing it.. soooo cdi or that rectifier or something along those lines?? i understand that it might not be the cdi but when u auto start it the cdi is what is used in the process of the auto start to get a spark correct?

soccer_playa1579

• View Profile
    • Email
okay so i was looking at the electronic system part in the parts catalog and i was wondering if yall could help me narrow it down..

1.main wire
2.disruption restrainer
3.switch, side stand
4.starter relay
5.fuse 20a
6.rectifier
7.ignition
8.ignition loop.

z250gs

• View Profile
It's not something simple like the stand has to be up to start the bike?  Your problem sounds consistent with that possibility. ie When you crank with starter, the stand is down and prevents ignition but when you push start, the stand is up and lets it fire up. The stand on this bike has to be in raised position in order to start the bike!! 

choylifutsoccer

• View Profile
    • Email
soccer_playa1579...check your private messages. I sent you one.

z250gs

• View Profile
soccer_playa1579 did you sort this problem yet? Let's know what the issue was or if you need more help on it - just in case someone else has same prob.

soccer_playa1579

• View Profile
    • Email
well i replaCED the cdi and it did not solve the problem so i called zongshen america again and they said the possible problem could most likely be the stator so i ordered it and am waiting on it to arrive. ill keeep u posted

willlybolt

• View Profile
    • Email
im having same issue. can push start but cant get ignition to start it up. was the problem the stator? or what did z-america say?

Wouter

• View Profile
    • Email
I do have a ZS125 and similar problem.  I can push start or kick start the bike and it starts. But cannot starts with the electric starter motor.  The electric starter motor does turn but it does not turns the mechanical motor - engine.

starsky

• View Profile
hey, been having that same problem. I recently bought a used 250gs and at the time it worked just fine until recently i took the carb off to have a look and when I put it back on the electric start seemed to have stopped working. It will start if i bump start it in second but when i try the electric start, all I get get is a clicking sound and it wont turn the motor over. I already changed the spark plug but that didnt change anything. what could the issue be and how do i fix it?

Thanks in advance

gbaby4life

• View Profile
    • Email
Ya i have been having this same problem with mine im going to try to test the  starter solinoid tomorrow and see if thats the problem i will post then and soccer_playa1579 let us know if that starter fixed your problem :) btw this site is awesome so glad i found it!!!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()