ZongshenForum.com
Zongshen Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

Rain Rain Rain , Will it ever end?

GRob-GS250

• View Profile
Ive been caught riding in the rain and although I don't like It I can get by and know to slow down and use caution among other things. I live in a apartment with no garage to store my bike in, I bought my bike just over a week ago and it has rained EVERY day sence, I'm already starting to see the effect the rain is having on my bike. The sprocket is showing small dots of rust and some fading of the black color. I'm going to get a cover today but I have read that a cover could make it worse. Does anyone else have this problem and what can be done?

I'm posting a couple pics to try and show the rust below.

GRob-GS250

• View Profile
I did just check the weather and the week ahead looks very good.

I have herd that WD40 on the chain and sprocket should help??

GRob-GS250

• View Profile
I got it Thursday July 3rd, A little over a week ago. But keep in mind that it has rained EVERY day sence I got it (ALOT) and I really dont think the bike is at fault in any way. Its metal and will rust in the rain (treated or not). Im looking for ways to slow the process or even prevent it, And correcting it.

xanthmo

• AOL Instant Messenger - xanthmo2
    • View Profile
    • http://xanthmo.com
    • Email
If your bike is going to live outside, I would clean and wax everything you can.

There has been some debate over WD-40 and its lubricating properties, I think in your case, keeping your sprockets coated with WD-40 will help repell, and displace some of the water.  Also, use a good chain lube, I used to get a spray from Honda, Blue Stuff or something like that, that won't fling off when you are riding.

I also use a chrome polish from Mothers - available at walmart.  It will help prevent corrosion on your exhaust system.

I have heard that a good bike cover will allow air circulation around the bike, while also shielding against water.  I think a tarp would trap moisture, causing more problems.

I guess that is all the best advice I can offer.  I have had my bike in the rain a few times, and can't find any sign of rust or corrosion, but it is kept in a garage.

GRob-GS250

• View Profile
I used wd40 and an old tooth brush to get the rust off and then sprayed a towel with it and wiped both wheels (just the metal part) and it looks good again. Lubed the chain with gear oil (wiping off the excess). I will do the rest this weekend, (wax and such).

I also bought a sport bike cover for it that looks like it will work well. Ties and locks at the bottom although I don't get the lock part, Seems like someone could just cut it off.

Thanks for the help :)

Myth

• View Profile
    • Email
It's like having locks on a car.... Someone could just bust your window...  But it is a deterrent.  Helps keep honest people honest.
[size=150]Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.[/size]

xanthmo

• AOL Instant Messenger - xanthmo2
    • View Profile
    • http://xanthmo.com
    • Email
I like your comment Myth "Helps keep honest people honest"  :lol:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()