ZongshenForum.com
Zongshen Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

Got new carb--bike still won't start

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
So I got my new carburetor, but my bike still doesn't start. I'm fairly sure it has to do with the air/mix setting, but I don't know how far out to set it. Can anyone give me their settings?

Thanks
What?

xanthmo

• AOL Instant Messenger - xanthmo2
    • View Profile
    • http://xanthmo.com
    • Email
Have you tried adjusting the idle, on the left side of the carb, pointing down with a spring?  I think you turn it left to increase the idle, and right to decrease.  Turn it out in small increments while pushing the starter periodically.  If that doesn't work, then I would try the fuel mix adjustment.

Also, the fuel petcock lever should be down, I think I told you up before, but that is the reserve position.

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
ok, so I finally got my bike to start (don't ask how...not sure). I suppose while playing around with the air/fuel mix I finally got the  correct setting. My issue now is that I have no power or acceleration. I can't get any faster than 40 mph and climbing hills is a chore. Any ideas? I'm just glad I finally got it started.

Also, I seems something is stuck with the idle or accelrator (not sure). When I am in neutral or have the clutch in the idle is high. I have adjusted the idle down but when I rev the rpms the idle stays stuck at the higher end 4-5000. Any ideas with this?
What?

Myth

• View Profile
    • Email
I've had the same issue with the idle sticking.  What I've been doing is just leaving it in first and letting out the clutch just a little so that the bike wants to move.  And I hold down the brake and it's worked on pulling my RPM's back down to around 2k.  I'm not sure why it's doing it or what the right way to handle it is.  It's just what I've been doing.
[size=150]Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.[/size]

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
I've discovered from a friend that I probably haven't properly bled the carburetor so the engine isn't getting the proper amount of fuel. He said that once I take out the bleeder screw at the bottom of the carb it should start filling the bowl. Once that happens, I should see improvement in performance as it relates to speed and acceleration.

I hope....
What?

Myth

• View Profile
    • Email
Does your friend think that this has something to do with the way it's idleing?
[size=150]Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.[/size]

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
Ok, so I think my problems are FINALLY taken care of :| . I seriously hope so. This has been the most frustrating month. I believe that my problem with acceleration and power had to do with the diaphram (?sp?) at the top of the carburetor. Basically it was slightly curled...so air was seeping through. Once I fixed that, I took the bike out for a spin and it ran great.

Also, I'm not experiencing the stuck idle any longer. Not sure what the problem was with that. Anyway, I'm crossing my fingers for the next couple of days. Thanks for all your input.

Jus
What?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()