ZongshenForum.com
Zongshen Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

Minor problems causing a big head ache (gauge problems)

Marc · 12 · 3979

Marc

• View Profile
    • Email
I've had my Zongshen for about 2 weeks now and I'm still facing the same problems I did initially. My speedometer cable was broken so the guy I purchased the bike from sent out a new one AND an entire new gauge assembly to be safe.

So I tried installing the cable today to disappointing results. Installing the cable on the back of the gauge was cake; Screwing it onto the counter was another story. First off, there's like this little octagon thing on the end of the cable that looks like it might need to go into the hole, but I'm not sure.

I finally got it screwed on and was smiling because I thought for sure it would work. It doesn't. Any tips?

Also, My gauge lights only come on if i snap the handlebars all the way to the left. I'm sure it's loose wiring but I'm not sure where to start. Any tips?

Thanks

Marc

• View Profile
    • Email
Ok, I got the odometer cable installed properly and my gauge finally works properly minus the backlight. Still looking for help with it.

Marc

• View Profile
    • Email
Well, I took nearly the whole damn bike apart to find the wiring problem. I finally found a cluster of wires and when I press down firmly on them the gauges light up. Without rambling on, I'm wondering if there's a wiring diagram readily available so that i can pinpoint the correct wire and fix it.

Thanks!

choylifutsoccer

• View Profile
    • Email

Marc

• View Profile
    • Email
Yeah, I saw that wiring diagram. It didn't offer much help.

Anyway, by trial and error I found the correct wire (an ugly brown one in case anybody ever has a similar problem) which was poorly spliced. I stripped the wire, re-connected it, taped it up and it works perfectly. I ended up working well past daylight (by use of a flashlight and the reverse lights on my car) and got it mostly put back together and took it for a little test drive. All seems good for now but morning will tell for sure.

Myth

• View Profile
    • Email
What was the problem with the cable if ya don't mind my asking?  Just in case someone else gets to tackle the task, they might learn from your mistake.  

Good luck, I Hope everything works out for ya!   ;)
[size=150]Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.[/size]

Marc

• View Profile
    • Email
It was just poor wiring. There were two cables that were taped onto another one, but one of the wires was loose. An easy fix if you know what to look for.

Myth

• View Profile
    • Email
I was talking about the odometer cable issue. :)  You thought you had it together at one point and discovered you were wrong.  
I was wondering how you fixed this problem.

Marc

• View Profile
    • Email
Oh. Luck I suppose. I just kept pushing really hard until it went in (that's what he said)

There wasn't a whole lot of finesse to it. just jam it up there I guess.

Myth

• View Profile
    • Email
Ohhhh...  :lol:

Well, whatever works.

Wang

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey mate I know I'm a few weeks too late but the odo cable into the odometer is standard on all motorbikes. I've had that problem when I've replaced a few other instrument clusters. That's the way they all are; you just push and twist a bit.

If you noticed, that rectangular shaped inner cable actually spins around and moves in and out. It spins with the wheel I believe.

Marc

• View Profile
    • Email
Well at least now if someone has the same problem in the future they'll be able to find a decent answer to it ;)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()