ZongshenForum.com
Zongshen Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

How to: Flush Mount Turn Signals

choylifutsoccer

• View Profile
    • Email
A couple months ago, I dropped my bike and broke the turn signal. Well, I found that it would be a great opportunity to install flush mounts to replace the broken turn signal.

My dad went on Ebay and found these Competition Werkes signal lights, and was able to get them for cheap.  Shocked Unfortunately, once I got them, there was a slight problem..

Materials:
-Competition Werkes flush mount turn signals [$9.34]
-Scrap plastic (got mine from a binder divider) [Free]
-15"x12" carbon fiber sticker sheet [$5.99]
-12"x20"x1/32" gasket sheet [$6.82]
-Nuts and bolts [~$2.00]
-Black spray paint [$1.00]
Total cost: $25.15 (with lots of  extra carbon fiber sticker and gasket for other uses)

Here's a picture of the lights in the package.

Out of the package...includes two taping options, wire connectors, and the lights itself.

Of course, the first thing to do is put it on! Uh oh..problem! The existing hole is bigger than the new lights..

So I traced the shape of the turn signals on a piece of graph paper, and added a 7mm border around it. Cut it out and folded it in half the "hot dog" way. This way, the center point is known. From the edge on the center line, I measured 3.5mm and dotted it. This where the bolt is gonna go. I also marked where the hole needed to be for the wires to go through. Trace this piece of graph paper onto the scrap plastic, cut it out, punch the holes, wrap it with carbon fiber sticker and you have something like this. Oh yea, wrapping with carbon fiber sticker is a bit tricky..you really have to crease the corners (on the edge) or the sticker will start lifting from the edges.

So those were my adapter plates. The bolts that I bought weren't black, so I put them between two bricks and gave them a light coat of black spray paint.

Drilled holes into the fairing, assembled the lights together and got this..

But then uh oh...Another problem found its way to me. The adapter plate wasn't flush to the fairing. So I bought a sheet of gasket..

Trace, cut, punch holes, reattach, and the gap between the plate and fairing was gone!

The flush mounts didn't come with wire connectors, so I cut my old bullet connectors off and connected them to the aftermarket lights. Reassemble fairings and such, and bingo! Q.E.D.!!

A picture of it mounted..

A picture of the stock signals for comparison..

And a bigger side shot..

Well..there ya go! Flush mount turn signals!

kf4ewo

• View Profile
    • http://www.midsouthsynthetics.com
    • Email
Hey choylifutsoccer,

They look great, my wife and I are looking at doing this exact mod with pods this upcomming spring to her bike. Doing both front and back and going to wire the front to be running lights while bike is on, every little bit to be more visable while out there in traffic and look more stylish for her.  ;)

Just got in some LED running lights to mount on front wheel refelecter mounts to help be more visable also. Planning to do the same how to thing with pictures and post in a couple of weeks when I have the chance to get some time off from work and the home buisness.

kf4ewo

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()