Zongshen Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

ZS250GS Technical problems

xanthmo · 33 · 12925

xanthmo

• AOL Instant Messenger - xanthmo2
    • View Profile
    • http://xanthmo.com
    • Email
So far, I have not had any trouble with my bike, although I have heard other riders had problems starting theirs, or with assembly.

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey--

Two things to post:

1)So far, my mpg has recorded at about 55mpg. I am hoping that with some time, that will increase. As I learn how the bike handles, I can adjust my driving to optimize its mpg potential.

2) What kind of fuel do you use? I haven't been able to start the bike the past couple of days. Everything seems to check out--battery, spark plug, fuel--but I can't seem to get it to start. The starter will turn, but the engine just won't crank. A friend of mine suggested that I got bad gas. I filled it with reg. unleaded--should I be using higher grade? Are motorcycle engines, just that sensitive? The manual said 90 petrol--but I didn't know what that meant.

Any Ideas?
What?

xanthmo

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi drummerben,

It sounds like you may have a fuel delivery problem, with your string of problems.  I would maybe start asking for a replacement carb, and see if that smooths things out for you.

I have been using 87 octane fuel without any problems starting or accelerating.  

I am really not familiar with the capacity of the tank, I will have to research this, but I have only put in one tank of fuel so far, and have rode 149 miles, as of today, and still have around half a tank left.  I will post more figures as I research, and eventually have to refill.

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
Could it be the fuel filter? Not sure where that is located or how to replace it, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to try.
I'll let you guys know as I get results.
What?

motorstar rider

• View Profile
    • Email
Sir drummerben did you check the fuel cut-off switch/valve? Should be in ’on’ position…
If your bike doesn’t have an external fuel filter you may want to consider this, I installed an aftermarket fuel filter and add a few inches of fuel hose, just to make sure no dirt/water particles enter the carb

Myth

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey Xanthmo,

From everything I've seen it should have a 5.3 gal tank.
[size=150]Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.[/size]

xanthmo

• View Profile
    • Email
Yeah, I was guessing on the tank size, I really don't know, and haven't looked at the manual.

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
I'll def. do that as soon as I figure out my current problem.

Thanks for the advice!
What?

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
So I finally figured out my problem!!! :D  

I had a mechanic friend look at the bike and we found that it was, of course, a carb problem.  It seems that the ?float pin? was bent and would not allow gas to flow to the spark. I called Vince at Scooter Dynasty and he is sending out a new carb on Monday. I was pleasantly surprised that he didn't fight the issue (although I guess I shouldn't be surprised).

Anyway, I should be up and running in a week and a halfish. I'll let you guys know when I get going.
What?

Brooks14

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi I just got a ZS250GS . I think its a great bike  :D

gstang

• View Profile
    • Email
hi my bike is surdging real bad at higher rpms. at about 65mph to 70 it is the worst. if i rev the engine in netural you can feel and hear the surdging starting at 6000 rpms. checked fuel delivery no problem there. any body know anything about the ignition system does it have a revlimiter ect? everything else on the bike is great just one little bug.

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
Not a big engine enthusiast nor do I know too much about motorcycle repair, but I do have the same issue. My brother was telling me that, depending on your power band, at higher rpms you can float the valves. Not sure exactly what that means other than that your pistons are basically moving faster than explosions can take place, hence the seeming fuel problem.  

Like I said, I'm not sure if this is the correct diagnosis but it seems reasonable. Another possibility is that fuel in the float bowl can't keep up with the open accelerator for extended periods. The former theory is probably a better solution, but these are the only ones I've been offered.

Let me know if you find something else.
What?

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
Just an update...still haven't received my new carb from Scooter Dynasty. Talked to Vince today and he said that he just shipped it out yesterday (7/7) when it should have been shipped out last Wed. Disappointed to say the least. Fortunately, they have been good about taking care of the problem...just slow to resolve.  I'll let you know when I get it taken care of.
What?

GRob-GS250

• View Profile
Its just my thoughts but...
I would think that running this bike (or any 250 Bike) at 65 to 70 mph for more then just a minute or so would cause harm to the engine. When i bought mine I was told that the top speed was 65 or 70 mph, And its NOT recommended to run it that hard,(especially when new). I always knew it was a around town kinda bike and likes to be run at 45 to 55 mph, I do not believe it to be a interstate bike at all. The speed limit from my house all the way to work is 45 mph so its perfect for me. I would suggest getting a 400 at least for 65 to 70, If I remember my old 400 LTD had a top speed of 120 and it was ok to cruise it at 65 to 70 (but NOT 120), I dont think that top speed is cruising speed.  Its just my thoughts...

xanthmo

• View Profile
    • Email
I can get to 65 pretty easily, but beyond that I feel like the engine is being pushed.  I am however curious what my actual speed is vs. speed shown on speedo.  I have not been over 55 speedo indicated in traffic, however, on the same roads I typically cruise 65 in my car.  I am wondering if 65 indicated is actually 70.

I plan to borrow my brothers Tom Tom for a different perspective.

I still have not registered the bike either, and the old plate I had expired in June, so I am shut down until I can get over to the DMV.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()