ZongshenForum.com
Zongshen Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

weak spark at coil

ILL CLICK ENT

• View Profile
    • http://WWW.MYSPACE.COM/ILLCLICKENTERTAINMENT
    • Email
Has anyone had the problem of a weak spark at the coil? I Replaced the coil and still has weak spark.
Bike turns over but wont start. My voltmeter shows spark coming out of plug end but wont fire plug.
Also have changed plugs to make sure wasnt plug. Any help?
[size=150]Burn Rubber!... Not Your Soul!...[/size]
07 Zongshen 250 GS
95 Suzuki GSX-R 750

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
I hope your joking. I am having the same problem and am waiting on a new coil to be sent to me. I was sure that this would fix my issues, but you are still having weak spark problems? A friend of mine also replaced the diode...maybe try that as well. He also said that all the grounds were not very well grounded. What type of plug are you using? I had to switch to a hotter plug...a d6ea ngk.

Things to try, anyway.
What?

ILL CLICK ENT

• View Profile
    • Email
No Sir I'm not joking. I order new coil and still did same.
I'm running the stock plug but upgrading it wont matter just
yet if it wont spark at all. I will check the grounds. I was also
told it may be the cdi. One of us has to come up with an answer.
07 Zongshen 250 GS
95 Suzuki GSX-R 750

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
Ok, so i put in the new ignition coil today and the bike started right up. After taking it out for a ride, the bike started surging like the spark was either weak or intermittent. I thought maybe the carb settings were out, so i adjusted those, but received the same results. The plug looked fine, also. My friend suggested that I install a restrictor to the coil. He said that this will regulate the spark to the plug. Not sure, but we'll see.

How's yours going?
What?

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
I discovered that my bike was running way too lean due to a vaccuum leak at the intake. I put a new clamp on the air hose at the carb and the bike ran fine. I am still having spark issues, I think. I was out test running my bike. I pulled to a stop light and the bike died on me. I tried and tried and tried to get it started back but couldn't. The engine would turn over fine, but no fire. I am going to replace the reg/restrictor per my friend's instructions and see how that helps.

I am glad that I got one component of my problems fixed. One day I will have this thing licked. Maybe God is teaching me patience?
What?

ILL CLICK ENT

• View Profile
    • Email
It's good to see u got some of the probs workd out. I had to order a new cdi mod. On the old one if I tapped on it while turning the engine over it would give me a good spark at the plug. As long as tapped on it. So the new cdi should b here this weekend. Will let u kno if it solves probs. By the way Patience is the most inportant tool to success.
07 Zongshen 250 GS
95 Suzuki GSX-R 750

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
Its good to know that the cdi could be the solution. I had actually called the dealership with my problem and they had suggested the cdi. They shipped me one today. Hope this fixes it. Let me know.
What?

ILL CLICK ENT

• View Profile
    • Email
My cdi came on sat. pluged it up and she started right up.I need to adjust the carbs a bit. But the cdi was definetly the prob. I hope ur's is a simple as that. Keep me posted on how it works for u.
07 Zongshen 250 GS
95 Suzuki GSX-R 750

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
Great News! Hey, what's your max speed so far?
What?

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
Let me know how the extended ride is. This is where I got into trouble. The bike would do fine for about 15 min or so and then just start running crappy (weak/no sparkor just cut out on me. If you can run for an extended ride and still have a smooth ride then we are in business.
What?

ILL CLICK ENT

• View Profile
    • Email
I have not put her on the highway yet but plan on it 2morrow. So I will let u know the top and how it rode. How is urs coming along?
07 Zongshen 250 GS
95 Suzuki GSX-R 750

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
How has the bike been running lately? I'm still waiting on the cdi. Hope this fixes it for me. Let me know how yours is doing.
What?

ILL CLICK ENT

• View Profile
    • Email
What's going on? The bike has been running great ever since the cdi. She runs in the mid 70'smph have not taken to redline.
Don't want to out-rev engine. Still need to adjust carb fine tuning. Other than that she runs great. Hope the cdi solves ur problems. Keep me up on it.
07 Zongshen 250 GS
95 Suzuki GSX-R 750

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
I know its been a while...just been too frustrated with my bike to post my problems. I'm still having difficulty with getting a good spark. I've replaced just about everything in the electrical system. Scooter Dynasty is sending me a new stator to see if that is the problem. At this point I'm almost ready to throw in the towel. With the cold weather fast approaching, I'm not ready to throw money at it and send it to a repair shop. I'll just sit and wait for the parts to come from Scooter Dynasty (that's all they're willing to do really) and see if that takes care of it. I suppose that eventually I will have replaced virtually every part on the bike except the frame. Surely it will work at some point...right?

Here's hopin'... :|
What?

ILL CLICK ENT

• View Profile
    • Email
Remember we talked about patience? There are only a few more things that can be replaced so lets roll with it. Have you tried a high rated spark plug? More spark is sometimes needed. I got this post out of one of our other subject post. Try the better plug as well. Won't hurt at all.

Re: What does it take for you to start your bike? (+bonus q)
by kf4ewo on Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:27 pm

Been a way for a while but replacing my wife plug with a NGK iridium DR8EIX #6681 spark plug has made a world of difference in starting her bike.

Old plug - Choke for one minute, idle for another 2, and then hesitation for the first couple of miles untel fully warm. restarts while warm would take quite a while if it did not sit for about 5 minutes after shutting off.

New plug - Choke for about 10 seconds, idle for about 30, then ride. Temp here when made the change was 70's in the mornings, now in the low 50's and no change in starting. I belive the new plug and 93 octain gas avalible around here has a lot to do with how well it does.

Replaced the battery about a week ago and seems to fire a lot faster when starting and idles a lot smoother while cold. Battery is from Sears, a 9-b (sears part number 44356). Also added a battery tender for the winter months to keep battery from draining.

My dad alway told me growing up never to adjust you carb for elevation until you were going above 8000 feet. This is based on 1950's to 1970's carb cars and trucks, but it is only what I was taught while growing up.

Hope the info helps.

KF4EWOkf4ewo

Private message
07 Zongshen 250 GS
95 Suzuki GSX-R 750

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()