New to 250 GS

xanthmo · 87 · 35113

xanthmo

• AOL Instant Messenger - xanthmo2
    • View Profile
    • http://xanthmo.com
    • Email
[attachment=0:33crcr0s]fuelconnection.JPG[/attachment:33crcr0s]

This should be a really bad GIMP-Shop of where the fuel petcock is, and the fuel line connection I had to connect on my bike upon assembly.

Sorry, I forgot about having done this.

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
I verified all of that, and I believe I have it correct.  I think I may have discovered my prob., however. Did you have to charge your battery when you put the acid in. My batt. indicator is blinking, telling me that it needs a charge. I will do that and try again.

drummerben
What?

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
One more question... the owner's manual indicates a kick starter, but I can't seem to locate it on the bike.

Any insight?
What?

xanthmo

• View Profile
    • Email
Hmmm, you checked all of that and it still didn't start?  Is the engine turning over at all?  Did you pull the choke up by the gauges?  I had to use the choke the first couple times I started it, but it was about 35 degrees then, now at 80 + degrees I haven't needed to use the choke.

I didn't charge the battery, although I am sure it is highly recommended that you do charge it before use.

I definately do not have a kick start.  

I am not near my owners manual to check on the setup so I can't really guide this procedure, but I would check the spark plug, and wire, and make sure those connections are good.  I am sure the manual also has the instructions for checking the spark plug for spark.  I have heard many other china bike owners replace the spark plug upon delivery, although I did not do this either.

Does it have power to turn the starter/motor?  (This is pretty obvious)

Is the motor getting fuel? If the fuel line was connected upon delivery, have a container ready to catch the fuel, and disconnect the fuel line below the petcock, to check for flow, then reconnect.  Also, check for pinches or disconnected fuel lines.

If it had flow, is the carb flooded, or the float could be stuck?  I cannot guide checking this either but maybe your manual and or dealer could assist.

Finally, if it is not a flooding or fuel delivery problem, troubleshoot the spark plug, to check for proper spark (make sure you are away from the fuel if you try this).  Check the manual or contact the dealer for suggestions on this.

I am not sure what other directions to point you.  This is a pretty simple machine, and I really can't think of any others possibilities in the system.  

I can't remember if you have to pull the clutch in to start the bike, I think you do if it is in gear, but not in neutral.  I always pull the clutch in when I start it, and at one point I had to adjust the clutch cable a little because it was not disengaging the clutch fully.  This is accomplished by moving the 2 nuts just below the fuel line on the same side as the petcock.  I do not think this is your problem, but it may come up soon - mine did after 2 weeks of riding.

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
There is a line running out the rear of the carburetor?? that doesn't connect to anything (just noticed this). I don't see anything that it should connect to, however. Is this supposed to be this way or... There isn't any fluids or gas coming out of it.
What?

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey--finally got my bike running. Just bought a new battery and charged it up...bike started right up.

Thanks for indulging my newbie questions.   You actually did help a lot.

I'll post some pics soon.
What?

xanthmo

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey DB, did you get out for a ride?  I am glad to hear you got the bike started, too bad that the factory battery didn't work out though.  I'd like to hear a ride report when you get the Zongshen on the road.

Xanthmo :D

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
Bike ran very smooth. Didn't get it past about 65, though. Haven't been out on the highway yet--but I suspect that it won't do much past 65. I had it at almost full throttle. Interestingly enough, the speedometer reads 120 (why??). I don't expect to do much riding past 65 or 70 anyway (commuting to and fro work), but the thrill factor wants to do more.

So far so good, though!!
What?

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
Took bike to work today...ran very sluggish after about 6500 rpm's. Didn't want to give any more speed and power backed way off. I'm thinking that it might be some bad fuel but not sure. Any insight??
What?

xanthmo

• View Profile
    • Email
I can't really figure out the "powerband" on this bike, I have noticed that I can not get close to redline really in any gear, and that 120mph is extremely optimistic.

I can excelerate pretty well, up to about 60-65, and then I am running 7000-8000 rpms, with no power left.  Beyond 65, I apply full throttle, and may get up to 70, but I don't think the bike would do that for long.

As far as the powerband goes, I was trying to stretch out the shifts and run up the RPM's at first, but I have recently been running the bike in lower RPM's 3500+, and taking quick, short shifts, and that seems to improve acceleration.   My bike seems more tolerant at higher gears now, after several rides, than when I first got it.  At first it was very sluggish accelerating, moreso from 35ish to 65 than from a stop to 65 - It was 30 degrees out too then though, I had the choke on, without the choke it runs much smoother.

My last bike was a Yamaha FZ-1 (1000cc's), I bought it new, and sold it when I had a daughter.  There really is no comparison between the way these 2 bikes ride, and any habits I had formed riding the FZ-1 don't apply to the Zongshen.  Gear selection is much more important on the Zongshen than other bikes, and you have to be careful not to shift too low and drop the clutch, I slid the tires down the hill doing that once.  I have quickly learned how the zongshen behaves, and it is a much better ride.

So, I would suggest taking it slow, and really getting to know your bike before venturing into too much traffic, or travelling too far.

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
Ride update:

Took the bike out yesterday and I still have the high end power fall off. In addition I was experiencing problems at stop and low rpms. The bike was cutting out on me a stop and was riding very rough at low speeds. I adjusted the idle hoping that would fix the problem. I haven't taken the bike out since this, but I am confident :| .

I'll let you know.

Even with these hiccups, I am still enjoying the ride (allbeit a slow one). I wish there was more top end to keep up with highway traffic (70+), but at least I'm riding. This is my first experience with motorcycles (never ridden before this), so I have no comparison. The thrill factor is present, though, and I look forward to riding more.

Thanks for all your input, BTW.
What?

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
here are some pics:
What?

xanthmo

• View Profile
    • Email
I had similar issues to yours early on, when using the choke.  The engine would shut off when I was slowing, or stopped.  Is the choke all the way off when you are riding?  It doesn't take this bike too long to warm up, usually only a couple of blocks for me.

Keep us posted on your progress with the bike.  Have you tried registration yet?  

Be Safe!

motorstar rider

• View Profile
    • Email
hi everyone, zongshen user here from the philippines... 8-)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()