ZongshenForum.com
Zongshen Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

Insuring The 250 GS

Myth · 11 · 5537

Myth

• View Profile
    • Email
I believe I'll finally be able to get my Zongshen.  Yay!!!  But before the gentleman will sell me the bike I have to have insurance.  Any recomendations?  And about what can I expect to pay?  Please note that I'm going to have to keep full coverage, I financed through the seller...  He's going to register it and every thing else, all I need to take it home is $720.25 and insurance.  Then I'll be paying $139.81/mo for a year.   :)
[size=150]Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.[/size]

GRob-GS250

• View Profile
I used Geico, I called from the dealer and was done in less then 10 minutes. I was charged $42 to start and payments for 6 months of $23. I had the option of payin the whole thing at once. The policy is for a year. I used my check card to pay over the phone. They will give you a policy number that makes you legal untill you get the cards in the mail.

Yours may differ a little in price but I think most places are the same.

xanthmo

• AOL Instant Messenger - xanthmo2
    • View Profile
    • http://xanthmo.com
    • Email
I used progressive, and I paid about $75/ per year.  They will send you a link to download your proof of insurance "on the spot".

Myth

• View Profile
    • Email
I've called several people...  No good news...

Progressive: $792/yr  $118 down and $61.28/month
Geico:          $1400-$1500/yr
Dairyland: Doesn't cover.
Markel America: Doesn't cover.
Allstate: $650/yr  $55 down and $55/month

I have no tickets or anything....  I'm 26 years old....  WTF!!!

Any advice???  I'm wanting to get the insurance today and Allstart is screwing me the softest.  :cry:

Since no one's replied yet I'm just adding an update to this message.
I called Leslie Kay's, Inc. - (866)367-1788.  She got me a rate through Progressive for $562/yr  $85.15 down and $44.35/mo.
A new best for me so I got it.  Hopefully I'm getting the bike today.  Keep y'all informed!

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
When I was single State Farm had the best rates for a motorcycle in general.  Did you try them?  Those rates sound really high.  How is your driving record?

Congrats on the bike!

Myth

• View Profile
    • Email
Well I'm married for a little longer. The misses is leaving me, but we haven't finalized yet.
My driving record is fine.  I don't have any tikets on my record for almost 10 years.
I've already bought the insurance from Leslie Kay.  Though I will look into Statefarm for renewal.

Thanks everyone!!!

Side Note:  I'll be picking up my bike tomorrow!!!   :D

Myth

• View Profile
    • Email
I've got my bike!!!!  I've got my insurance.  Everything is cool!  Though I'm pretty sure I'll have to adjust my clutch.
But if I get into that, I'll break it into a new topic rather then end up with a trailing topic...

xanthmo

• AOL Instant Messenger - xanthmo2
    • View Profile
    • http://xanthmo.com
    • Email
Sorry to hear about the marriage Myth.   :cry:

I had to adjust the clutch after about the 2nd or 3rd ride, but it was pretty easy, and I haven't made any changes since except....

Some of you may have read my blog, and I comment on alot of eco-friendly stuff, but I did bypass the EGR, in a non-ecofriendly fashion.  

It breaks down like this, under the front fairing there is a valve which recirculates exhaust gas back into the airbox to burn off excess gas vapors.  I simply pulled the rubber hose from the pump, and stuck a huge screw in it to stop the exhaust gas from escaping out of the valve.  This was not an original idea, it came from another user on here, but I can't remember who first posted it.

That slight modification seemed to help my bottom end acceleration, and it reduces the backfire, and eliminates oil in the airbox, which some of you commented on, and it is normal for this bike.  Now the pump just pulls fresh air into the airbox.  

I am not recommending this modification, because I don't know what happens to the oil once it seeps past the valve. Before it was recirculated into the airbox, but now I am unsure if the oil will get stuck, and either clog or break the valve.  

Also, I took my first crack at registration today with no success.  The DMV sent me out empty handed, stating that they did not have sufficient documentation to the origin of the bike.  Last time I regisered at another DMV with no problems, so I may try that one again and see if I have any better luck.

kf4ewo

• View Profile
    • http://www.midsouthsynthetics.com
    • Email
Went with progresive sence I already have my Honda VTX1300c on one policy. $259 a year for my self, and $335 a year for my wife with two tickets in the last couple of years. Age, married, and already having a policy makes a big differance. Also asked if I was to insure my son what it would cost and my agent came back with over $700 dollars a year, thank goodness he os only 14 and does not have his lisence yet. Not looking forward to that day.

kf4ewo

aggieboi254

• AOL Instant Messenger - aggieboi254@aol.
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - aggiebi254@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/hondasiguy
    • Email
i went through allstate with mine,my upfront cost was $51.00 and my monthly payment is 67.98 with full coverage.if i would have gone with liability only it would have been $44.58 a month. ive got two accident and about 3 or 4 speeding tickets on my record so it should have been a little higher but i told them i was going to take the motorcycle safety course so i got a discount on my insurance with saying that! Plus i was on my parents policy for a long time and they had theirs for about 30 or 35 years so that was an added discount as well!

Marc

• View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: "aggieboi254"
i went through allstate with mine,my upfront cost was $51.00 and my monthly payment is 67.98 with full coverage.if i would have gone with liability only it would have been $44.58 a month. ive got two accident and about 3 or 4 speeding tickets on my record so it should have been a little higher but i told them i was going to take the motorcycle safety course so i got a discount on my insurance with saying that! Plus i was on my parents policy for a long time and they had theirs for about 30 or 35 years so that was an added discount as well!

Two accidents and 3 speeding tickets? No offense but if I was an insurance company there's no way I would insure you, lol. Mine was about $250 for 12 months.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()