ZongshenForum.com
Zongshen Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

Is this bike commuter capable?

timr8655142

• View Profile
    • Email
I would like to hear from anyone who rides the bike on long trips.

I want to find out if this bike will be able to handle a 100-mile (160 km) round trip daily on the highway going about 70mph (113kph) the whole way.

I don't really care about power, not looking to hot-rod around, I just want to get to work and back, and I would like to go about 70mph (113kph) because if I go any slower around here I will get run over and honked at and flashed at.

Please let me know if the GS250 will be ok for me, will it be harmful to the bike to run 113kph for 45 minutes?

Thank You

choylifutsoccer

• View Profile
    • Email
The comfort zone for me is around 65mph, but I can go to 70mph with no problem. It vibrates quite a bit at that speed though. I've never ridden for more than 30 minutes, so I really don't know if it'll hold up for 45 minutes.

Myth

• View Profile
    • Email
Well I've ridden mine quite a bit for the time that I had it...  It held up okay for about 3000 miles then I killed the engine...  It's been in he shop for a month now, two weeks of thinking they knew what was wrong and waiting on parts, then realizing that they were wrong and then waited 4 days to take it to another guy who would decide what was wrong and order his parts...  Now they are just replacing the engine and God willing I'll have my bike back soon.  I'm not sure if the bike is built well enough to maintain that kind of running all the time...  Mine dying could've been a fluke of some sort, but I'm going to start over with mine and my driving habit aren't going to change.  If I run it into the ground then I run it into the ground.  If it can't handle what wanna do then I'll grind it into dust...   :twisted:   Depending on how long you are willing to wait, I'll re-evaluate and re-test the bike and once I have more solid data on the bike I'll let you know.

Hope this helped in some way...
[size=150]Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.[/size]

Namikuz

• View Profile
    • Email
Well Myth got 3 times the milage out of his than I did. At 1201 mine BLEW UP!!!!  But I've had troubles with mine from day one. Mine was injesting LARGE ammounts of oil through the intake tract. After a few hydro-loc incidents, the motor sounded like a medium sized guy was trying to escape my crank case with a hammer and a bag of marbles.  The reason the bike injested so much oil is NOW known. The vent tube for the crank case that goes into the air box was PINCHED!!!!  It was routed wrong and when it filled up with oil, the pressures in the engine forced it in to the fast moving air stream and into the carb. Well this bent the con rod and cracked the piston ring land. So I'm ALSO waiting for an engine. ##@@** NEWS FLASH##@@** AS I AM TYPING THIS, I took a call from the dealer, MY ENGINE IS HERE.....MY ENGINE IS HERE!!!!  WOO WHOO!!!!!!    Well, now Myth's engine should be close too.
As for the topic, mine seemed ok as a commuter. I rode 42 miles each way till it died(as I knew it would, with the initial problems) I'm 6'2" 210 and had little problem maintaining 65 on the freeway. But Isn't this about the most comfortable bike seat EVER!!!! I really mean it. It's even better than my custom seat on my Suzuki GS1100ESD that I had made by Sargent seats.
Well if this little motor dies again, I'll try and stuff a suzi DR 350 into it and go from there. I hope it lives. In the Asian markets, it's one of the most popular bikes going, so I can't see it being too unreliable.
Bye
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Salt Lake City Utah
Rev'em High...
   Rev'em HARD!!!
06 ZS250GS (GONE)
04 Saturn Ion(GONE)03 Mini Cooper S MODDED!!!
1948 Dodge 3 window coupe, 426 4speed
83 Suzuki GS1100ESD modded(even FASTER)

aggieboi254

• AOL Instant Messenger - aggieboi254@aol.
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - aggiebi254@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/hondasiguy
    • Email
Hey Namikuz, yea your right , i think the seat is one of the reasons i bought mine, it was the most comfortable seat id sat on all day and it fit like a glove.ive put about 6 or 7 hundred miles on mine in a month so id say im not doin to bad and no problems yet really other than my speedo. but if your intrested in looking into other motors that are a direct bolt on  a guy on here posted a link to a website that had some replacement motors. some are the same as the one our bikes already have and a few are big step ups,they have a 396 cc thats pushin i think it said 100 and somthing horse power and then they have a step up of that that would make the zong a v-twin and still increase the power quite a bit,heres the link you should check it out sometime!!!

http://saturdaynightcycles.net/store/

choylifutsoccer

• View Profile
    • Email
I suggest you don't buy from that store, as they have a very bad reputation for scamming people. I haven't gotten scammed by them, but I've heard numerous stories, so it's better to be safe than sorry.

Myth

• View Profile
    • Email
Yeah, I was looking on there and they've got a 3 MONTH wait time.....  Yeah, seems kind of like a bad deal....  Just my opinion though.
[size=150]Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.[/size]

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()