ZongshenForum.com
Zongshen Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

grinding/squealing noise

kristifer

• View Profile
    • Email
I have been hearing a kind of squealing/griding noise intermittently coming from my front tire when it is rolling at low speeds (I assume its there at higher speeds but I can't hear it).  I noticed that the nut that connects the speedo cable to the housing was backed off pretty far and had leaked some sort of fluid/grease.  I tightened down the cap.  Should I just relube the cable or take off the entire housing and regrease the entire thing?  Any ideas or am I looking at the completely wrong thing?

z250gs

• View Profile
Does it happen with light brake applications only? If so it might be a slight warped disc or uneven pressure on both discs at the same time. I have noticed something like what you mention but only on light brake application. It doesn't affect the braking in any way. The noise on mine has now stopped.

darealestspigguh

• View Profile
    • Email
Does it happen with light brake applications only? If so it might be a slight warped disc or uneven pressure on both discs at the same time. I have noticed something like what you mention but only on light brake application. It doesn't affect the braking in any way. The noise on mine has now stopped.
yeah i'm gonna agree with this guy, squeaking from the front usually equates to uneven something on the brakes.  Try some of that brake grease from the auto parts store to see if squeaking stops.

kristifer

• View Profile
    • Email
Actually, it happens mostly when the wheel is turned, to the left in particular.  Thats why I figured it might be the speedo housing.  Ive felt/inspected the rotors and haven't noticed any irregular wear, but Ill give it a few hundred more miles and see what happens.

darealestspigguh

• View Profile
    • Email
if i was you i wouldn't ride a bikewith shotty alignment, sounds like you might be asking for trouble...  But since you hear it more when you turn left, have you made sure that all of your cables are clearing any moving parts towards the front of the bike?

kristifer

• View Profile
    • Email
yea, ive checked most of the moving parts.  It seems to be only a recent development so I don't think its necessarily an allignment prob.  I was testing out the brakes yesterday to see if that caused/changed the noise and you guys are right, i think it might be uneven braking.  when I would lightly squeeze the front lever, it would change the sound.  So, I will keep an eye on it and report back later.

darealestspigguh

• View Profile
    • Email
i had back brake noise and a little brake grease cured it right up.  Make sure you give your brakes a few good squeezes after application before you hit the road though.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()