ZongshenForum.com
Zongshen Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

CDI box testing?

2712lampej

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey Everyone, I'm a new member and new owner of a zs250gs. I bought an 06 zs250gs with 900 miles that did not run for $500 and am now in the process of trying to get it running. Here's what I know. The previous owner said he attempted to jump start the bike but hooked up the jumper cables backwards. The bike will turn over just fine but there is no spark. At first, I thought it was the spark plug wire leading to the coil as this was loose. After fixing this though, I am still not getting any spark. After looking through quite a few other threads, it seems to be a common issue that the CDI box needs to be replaced. Is it possible that the CDI box was damaged when the jumper cables were hooked up backwards? Does anyone know of a way to test the CDI box? Thanks

leemoore01

• View Profile
How many connectors has your CDI box got is it 1 or 2.

I had to replace the cdi box on my zongshen and the wiring loom to convert the bike to 1 solid black connector.
I would check the stator as well to make sure it's not short circuit.

2 common faults on these bikes mines only had 700 miles on before the cdi packed in. There is an additonal device on mine that was controlled from the cdi unit that is quite prone to blowing them.

The 1 connector cdi units can be purchased from the uk quite easliy

fareastrider

• View Profile
    • Email
hey guys i have z200gs have it for 3years now..the guys from the dealer sold me a new cdi way back july 2009 worked well for only 6months, now my bike will only start if i use the kick..i don't know if it's the cdi or the battery that has a problem.. :(

z250gs

• View Profile
After looking through quite a few other threads, it seems to be a common issue that the CDI box needs to be replaced. Is it possible that the CDI box was damaged when the jumper cables were hooked up backwards? Does anyone know of a way to test the CDI box? Thanks

I think it would be more accurate to say that the CDI is easily damaged by connecting the power leads up the wrong way round. As it stands, the starter is working and the battery must still be OK and theres no spark. Unfortunately, CDI's are polarity sensitive so it was almost definitely damaged by the jumper leads being connected the wrong way round.
I think you've proved that so I'd be looking for a new CDI module.

PS And by the way....don't forget to hold in the clutch lever and lift the side stand before trying to start on this bike. That also prevents spark.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 06:02:12 PM by z250gs »

z250gs

• View Profile
hey guys i have z200gs have it for 3years now..the guys from the dealer sold me a new cdi way back july 2009 worked well for only 6months, now my bike will only start if i use the kick..i don't know if it's the cdi or the battery that has a problem.. :(
Sounds like the battery to me. A multimeter across the battery should show better than 12 volts with the engine off and more like 14volts with it running. If the CDI was faulty the engine wouldn't be running after it was kick started.

Sabre084

• MSN Messenger - meyer084@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi Guys
I just bought a used 2008 ZS250GS with 5900 miles on the clock.
The bike is in very good condition and it's been driving like a dream, until yesterday...  :'(
I was driving when all of a sudden my instruments (Speedo, odometer etc) went dead and the bike cut out.
It took me about 30 minutes before the bike started again.
I first thought it might be a battery problem but the engine turns when trying to start.
I then tested the spark plug. Seems like there is no spark.
I have read a view threads which indicate that the problem could either be with the CDI unit or the coils.
Could anybody confirm this? Any advice on how I can definately establish what the problem is?  ???
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am also looking for a Owner's Manual for the ZS250GS in PDF if anyone can help?  ???

grumpy

• View Profile
Hi Guys
I just bought a used 2008 ZS250GS with 5900 miles on the clock.
The bike is in very good condition and it's been driving like a dream, until yesterday...  :'(
I was driving when all of a sudden my instruments (Speedo, odometer etc) went dead and the bike cut out.
It took me about 30 minutes before the bike started again.
I first thought it might be a battery problem but the engine turns when trying to start.
I then tested the spark plug. Seems like there is no spark.
I have read a view threads which indicate that the problem could either be with the CDI unit or the coils.
Could anybody confirm this? Any advice on how I can definately establish what the problem is?  ???
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am also looking for a Owner's Manual for the ZS250GS in PDF if anyone can help?  ???
Hard to say but a few more details. The speedo is mechanically driven by cable so its too coincidental that the electricals like the fuel guage and tacho "died" at the same time. A few more questions to answer may help:
Did the bike starter turn over during that 1/2 hour but no start?
Did the green neutral light and battery light show on the dash while unable to start?
Did you go over any bump or pothole in the road just before the bike died?
Is it possibe you accidentally hit  the Kill switch when it cutout?
The battery sounds like a possible issue.Did u check the terminals were tight anyway?
I take it that the bike runs ok now as you say that it started after 30 minutes. Was it a one off problem thats now ok?

Looking at the electric wiring diagram, looks like the stator sends a trigger to the cdi and cdi is powered via the 12v battery. There are a few connectors to check: The one direct to the cdi is a possibility, as the tacho is fed from the cdi/coil. The cdi output connects direct to the coil so check the tightness of two screws that hold the coil to the frame.   I've heard that a intermittent fault on a coil can also be a cause, but this is rare.

Maybe check for any loose or damaged connectors or wiring under the drivers seat. It shouldn't happen but the previous owner could have rerouted the wiring at some stage. Check the connectors are all fullly engaged. The rectifier one and CDI in particular, as these are under the seat area.

Are you sure its a electric problem? You mention no spark but if you tested for spark while side stand is down then you may not see a spark due to cut out switch in sidestand.

Another possibility is the carby got a bit of dirt or water through it to stall your engine. After settling for the half hour you mentioned it could have then restarted. Have you had the carby off at all? Look inside the tank for any dirt or rust with a flashlight.

Because you have a one off problem its always hard to guess at the cause. Theres a whole lot of possibilities.

Lets know how you go !
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:05:14 PM by grumpy »

Huntley

• View Profile
How many connectors has your CDI box got is it 1 or 2.

I had to replace the cdi box on my zongshen and the wiring loom to convert the bike to 1 solid black connector.
I would check the stator as well to make sure it's not short circuit.

2 common faults on these bikes mines only had 700 miles on before the cdi packed in. There is an additonal device on mine that was controlled from the cdi unit that is quite prone to blowing them.

The 1 connector cdi units can be purchased from the uk quite easliy

The CDi unit on my ZS250GS has failed, it has 2 connectors but I can't source a replacement (I'm in the uk). How did you do your conversion, I assume you got the single 8 pin unit from China parts online?

Many thanks in advance...

harry

• View Profile
hey guys I got 2008 zongshen zs250gs my bike starts and runs idle but wont revv mor than 3000 I got told by a mechanic that it is the CDI units needs to be change?? or air leak around the intake to cylinder any ideas????

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()