ZongshenForum.com
Zongshen Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

2006 ZS250-5 Bike won't go over 60 mph?

pjk · 4 · 3195

pjk

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello,
I recently bought my first bike on Craigslist. It is a 2006 Zongshen ZS250-5 Sports bike. 250cc. It has around 1700 miles on it, and according to the previous owner, it had been sitting in a shed for about 6 months before I got it.

Anyways, it starts up fine. However, I just took it on the highway for the first time today, and couldn't get it over 60 mph. It goes up to 120 mph on the speedometer, and up to 14k rpms, but I couldn't get it over 8k rpms either. I have to get it all the way to 4th gear to go around 40, and then anything above is 5th gear. With full throttle in 5th, it goes around 7k rpm and 55-60 mph, and I can feel it cutting out a bit like it isn't getting gas.

So, my question is: how do I fix this? What do you suggest I do? I think I will take it to a local cycle shop to see if I can get it tuned up and whatnot, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do myself, as I'd like to learn.

Also, off topic, but is an owner's manual available online somewhere?  I didn't get get one when I purchased this, and I'd like to take a look at it.  I don't even know what kind of oil it needs.

Many thanks in advance! I greatly appreciate your time.
-Pat
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 03:17:24 PM by pjk »

z250gs

• View Profile
Sounds a bit lke this guys problem. Follow the link.
http://zongshenforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=186.0

PS Seeing your bike is actually a cruiser style , it may be worth re-entering this problem under the "Cruiser" heading in the forum. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 02:41:17 AM by z250gs »

pjk

• View Profile
    • Email
A cruiser?  I'm pretty sure it is a sportbike.  I have the model messed up, but it is definitely a sports bike.

I'd like to check all that stuff, but I don't have a manual.  Do you know where I can get a manual for a 250cc Zongshen sportsbike, specifically a 2006 Zongshen GS250-5 Sportsbike Owner's
Manual?

Thanks!

z250gs

• View Profile
If you live in the USA then your best bet will be the ZOngshen America website. If they don't have the manual then its probably not available. Click on their "contact us" tab.
Also, the top speed of this bike is similar to an equivalent single cyl 250cc bike produced by Yamaha and Honda etc, so about 80mph is the max you will get from this machine in stock form.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 05:09:04 PM by z250gs »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()