ZongshenForum.com
Zongshen Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

idles shuts off with any throttle help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kutlassboyz

• View Profile
new carb, new air flow controller, bike sat for 2 weeks went to start and cuts off with any throttle. emptied tank and put new gas. that lil bulb on airbox was full of oil removed and emptied cleaned air filter and oiled. just had new stator put on at zongshen in miami 2 mos ago. changed oil. smells rich will bog out and shuts off with any throttle. im confused. i also have sierra 200 never needed out side maintenance. i rejetted put fmf exhaust uni filter and never had any problems i couldnt solve. i am very experienced with zongshen bikes and feel lost lost on this situation. anybody have any ideas????????????

z250gs

• View Profile
Sounds like its starving of air. Is the airbox bulb full of oil again? I think the bulb is only there to pick up excess oil in the foam filter after you clean and re-oil it during normal maintenance. Its not there to collect oil from the engine thats being sucked in due to overfilling the sump during oil change.

If the oil in the bulb is clean then it sounds like you hav'nt  squeezed enough oil from the foam filter and therefore blocking the carb air supply and so the rich running.  Try washing the air filter in fuel and re-oil sparingly. You only want a few drops of oil in the foam.

If the oil in the bulb is dirty, then it sounds like engine oil is being sucked into the air box due to possibly overfilling the oil in the engine. With the bike resting on its sidestand you can't see any oil in the sightglass on the sump. If you can then you've overfilled the sump and need to drain some oil off to avoid excess oil being sucked into the air filter. You can only check the oil level with the bike pulled up dead vertical. This issue is covered in other posts.

kutlassboyz

• View Profile
when i started this problem oil was black in airbox bulb. i changed it and it is at correct levels. still will not run. will run briefly after cleaning carb then starts to sputter and cough out. drained gas tank again and looked inside. extreme rust. believe it is clogging carb. going to put breather on engine and uni. pod filter like i did on my enduro and get new gas tank on mon. seen hundreds of posts with same problem. the amount of rudst is startling. bike was assmbled less than a year ago only has 1200 or so miles i ride it 50 miles each way about once a week. and went out of town for a couple of weeks. was running great when i left. i run 80 plus mph at 1100-1200 rpm ( i weigh 140) even going uphill. has anyone had oilover flow stop throttle from stand still? i know it can shut bike down at high speed (has happened to me ) even if oil level is correct.

z250gs

• View Profile
Yeh it sounds weird, but do you think maybe you're expecting too much from the bike? At 80mph youre running it at its max designed speed. Over a couple of hours with that many revs and air cooling youre really thrashing the engine. It simply isnt designed for that sort of speed. Maybe the valves are burnt. I'd be looking for a bike with bigger engine with water cooling and maybe 6 speed box. I don't think the zong is quite up to that sort of punishment!!   I can see why you might be having problems now.

motorstar rider

• View Profile
    • Email
- install in-line fuel filter before the carb
- replace spark plug with platinum or iridium
- check high tension wire for cracks
- try to borrow a cdi just to check its not the cause
- was the carb properly assembled back when you cleaned it?
- drain engine oil and refill at correct level (1.1-1.2L)

kutlassboyz

• View Profile
bike is fixed and running well now,  cleaned tank with baking soda and electrolysis ( connectec battery and floated coat hangar) cleaned filters on bith sides of engine, added breather,. about speeds i run my bike 1) i am only 140 lbs and 2) i have casoli no rev limit cdi and ss coil, and raptor carb.3) i live in south fla the atmospheric pressure here allows me to run more fuel and higher speeds with my jet and airflow setup. my valves are beautiful and that wouldnt cause bog down,anyway. somewhere the mixture was being thrown off i believe it was the rust in my tank and a filthy filter on right side of engine. im back to haulin ass i did 80 all the way to pompano and it was cold last night so i had throttle left to spare.

z250gs

• View Profile
bike is fixed and running well now,  cleaned tank with baking soda and electrolysis ( connectec battery and floated coat hangar) cleaned filters on bith sides of engine, added breather,. about speeds i run my bike 1) i am only 140 lbs and 2) i have casoli no rev limit cdi and ss coil, and raptor carb.3) i live in south fla the atmospheric pressure here allows me to run more fuel and higher speeds with my jet and airflow setup. my valves are beautiful and that wouldnt cause bog down,anyway. somewhere the mixture was being thrown off i believe it was the rust in my tank and a filthy filter on right side of engine. im back to haulin ass i did 80 all the way to pompano and it was cold last night so i had throttle left to spare.
Yeh the rust would definitely clog your carb. But its good youve sorted that one out now. I think the best thing to do there is put an inline filter before the carb as suggested by MS Rider. I think i'll do the same just to be safe. I have a 2 yr old bike with about 6000 mile on the clock. After reading your post I checjked my tank but no sign of rust in mine  (yet).     

One possibility I notice though is after filling with gas it pays to press the fuel cap down an extra click just to be sure its sealing properly. Otherwise it could be that while riding in the wet or parked outside in the rain, a bit of water could get down under the filler cap and enter the tank via the fuel vent hole.   

kutlassboyz

• View Profile
yeah i added inline fuel filter and i just got ascerbis headlight and fairing. just did valve adjustment too. running smooth.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()