Zongshen Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

Spark Plug maybe?

Icey-ZS250GS

• MSN Messenger - Chris69Ledoux@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Bullrider485
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - IceyManipulator@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
So while I'm going down the highway, my bike will lose power for a few seconds, if I back out of the throttle it seems to run smoother. Is there a governor on the 250 or an RPM delimiter? As for the RPMs, It's never at the same RPM when it decides to do this and it seems the bike will run all it can run... Lets say that it is not completely broke in yet also. Plus, I've changed out the spark plug with a Champion, it runs better but I'm thinking that it is trying to flood even after getting the new spark plug. Do I gap the spark plug further to maybe fix it or lessen the gap? Or I'm I on the wrong page altogether? Any ideas or help is much apperciated.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.

choylifutsoccer

• View Profile
    • Email
 :o
Although we don't own Ninja's, check out this link.
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Changing_the_spark_plugs_%26_brands_to_avoid
Take out your Champion spark plug. Use the stock one, or NGK ones.
See how the bike runs after that.

Icey-ZS250GS

• View Profile
    • Email
Wow, thats a wee bit scary. :-X Thanks for the great advice, definitely swapping plugs tomorrow.

Namikuz

• View Profile
    • Email
Well, thats EXACTLY what my 'lil Pak mule was doing. You are likely getting oil into your air box and it's running very rich.
On the left side of your bike, there is a plastic nipple on the lower side of the air box. It's kinda up behind the side panel, below the seat. Pull off the clamp and drain plug(it will look yellow/brown/orangeish pinched off tube) and drain out the oil from your air box. After awhile your engine could injest enough oil to hydroloc , like mine did, and thats NO FUN!!!
Now I've noticed that ALOT of these are running RICH!!! (I lowered the needle in the carb from the lowest notch to the 4th notch. HOW DID THIS GET CALIFORNIA CERTTIFICATION, I'LL NEVER KNOW!!!) And at freeway speeds, the engine will draw oil through the vent tube and into the air box and ofcourse into the carb causing the bogging. Mine was so bad, it left a plume of blue smoke from muffler.
Also check the vent tube at the air box, where it is SUPOSE to go around the frame. Mine was pinched off and collected oil like a resovioure.
I also re gapped my plug to 28 thousands(initially it was at 18) and picked up some torque and its eaiser to start and idle.
Now the air filter is VERY restrictive and at prolonged hi speeds the engine will syphon oil from the engine case.  I removed the hose comming the crank case to the air box, from the air box and routed it towards the swing arm and installed a small filter. I get -0- oil in the air box and -0- oil from the vent tube. ALL IS WELL!!!! (plug the hole left open on the air box too)
My engine hydrolocked 3 times and destroyed itself. I now have a new engine that actually runs pretty well.

Hope this helps.
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Salt Lake City Utah
Rev'em High...
   Rev'em HARD!!!
06 ZS250GS (GONE)
04 Saturn Ion(GONE)03 Mini Cooper S MODDED!!!
1948 Dodge 3 window coupe, 426 4speed
83 Suzuki GS1100ESD modded(even FASTER)

Icey-ZS250GS

• View Profile
    • Email
Yea that is good advice, I'm gonna check that stuff tomorrow  ::) Meh, the bike is running somewhat better having put a new spark plug in it and gapped it correctly, still tries bogging down slightly at 8k RPM's  but nothing like before. Did notice that the air filter was holding a small portion of oil. Thanks greatly again for the advice.
Icey

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()