ZongshenForum.com
Zongshen Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

ENGINE CLONED FROM....

Namikuz · 16 · 7078

Namikuz

• View Profile
    • Email
The ZS250GS engine seems to be a clone of the yamaha 250 Exciter AND or the 1977ish XT250 dual purp. They look almost exactly alike. I beliver the years are from ~1980 - 1990 on the Exciter and Not sure on the XT.. Well there should be ALOT of parts avalible for the yamaha. I'll be comparing parts REALLY SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Salt Lake City Utah
Rev'em High...
   Rev'em HARD!!!
06 ZS250GS (GONE)
04 Saturn Ion(GONE)03 Mini Cooper S MODDED!!!
1948 Dodge 3 window coupe, 426 4speed
83 Suzuki GS1100ESD modded(even FASTER)

250gs

• View Profile
    • Email
Well spotted Rob. i don't know anything about the Yamaha but I did suspect that the Z was based on a earlier model Yamaha when I was looking thru a M/C Tech maintenance book that showed photos of a Yamaha engine and the oil filter and housing pictured and engine pic were pretty much identical to the Zong.
But to take it a bit further, my guess is that the major bike manufacturers like Honda/Suzuki and Yamaha are outsourcing parts manufacturing to Zongshen China in order to reduce their manufacturing costs. We already know that  Harley Davidson are engaged in some sort of talks in relation to market sharing arrangements and a company like Harley wouldn't talk with someone who didn't have a good reputation.  I think this can only make us feel a bit more confidant that we bought ourselves ok bikes and not heaps of sh**.

Myth

• View Profile
    • Email
The real question is on if Zuki has got his bike back yet.........  I still have not.  Waiting on an engine......  2 months in T minus 3 days......  2 months in the shop that is, but Zuki's got me beat by 2 months if I remember correctly...  I do debate the quality of our Zong's, though I still like mine.  It surved the pupose in which I bought it, for the most part.  Though I think I've finally decided mine is a lost cause.  I had it for three months and now he's had it for two and I'm leaving in 3 weeks.  I think I might ask him to release me from the contract on buying the little guy.  Not fully decided yet, but pretty much...
[size=150]Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.[/size]

250gs

• View Profile
    • Email
Yes Myth its disappointing all right in your case and that wait would definitely change my perception of the bikes reliability. But ive only had to change the oil 3 times in 4500km and that is it. Ive adjusted the clutch free play but not touched the engine otherwise. You just had some bad luck or else perhaps you misadjusted the valve timing or something. I also ran mine in fairly carefully in the first 1000km not exceeding 70kmph-although i notice some people, including mechanics disagree on the need for gentle runin period- changed the oil  twice as per the book and everything has been going fine. Maybe i'll have a different view in another 5000km but i'll have to see.
i bought mine off the shop floor fully assembled,  and the laws here do protect consumers fairly well. It sounds like your main gripe is with a tardy dealer so you can't really blame zongshen for that because the dealer may be bulldusting you about the delay.  I'd be asking to see his proof that he is doing something to speed things along or ask for a refund and put some more pressure on him.

Hope you get it up and working before too much longer!

Namikuz

• View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: "250gs"
Yes Myth its disappointing all right in your case and that wait would definitely change my perception of the bikes reliability. But ive only had to change the oil 3 times in 4500km and that is it. Ive adjusted the clutch free play but not touched the engine otherwise. You just had some bad luck or else perhaps you misadjusted the valve timing or something. I also ran mine in fairly carefully in the first 1000km not exceeding 70kmph-although i notice some people, including mechanics disagree on the need for gentle runin period- changed the oil  twice as per the book and everything has been going fine. Maybe i'll have a different view in another 5000km but i'll have to see.
i bought mine off the shop floor fully assembled,  and the laws here do protect consumers fairly well. It sounds like your main gripe is with a tardy dealer so you can't really blame zongshen for that because the dealer may be bulldusting you about the delay.  I'd be asking to see his proof that he is doing something to speed things along or ask for a refund and put some more pressure on him.
Hope you get it up and working before too much longer.  

WOW, you rode twice the milage as I have and apperantly have a nice 'lil bike, I envy you. I still don't have mine back.
Mine has given me trouble from mile one. It was assembled and I rode it home. I did a careful 500ish miles and changed the oil twice in that period.
At mile 15 my bike spewed oil smoke out the muffler like an old locomotive and partially filled the air box with oil. I returned it to the shop, THEY DID NOTHING but keep it for 2 weeks. I got it back and at 300miles it hydrolocked at ~ 50 mph. That was fun!!! I returned it again and this time it had a rattle in the engine. Ofcourse the dealer found NOTHING WRONG again and it sounds normal. at 1201 miles it locked hard at ~ 65 mph and started ratteling/ knocking badly. The dealer has had it since September. and as of my last speaking with them, they had this to say, "This is not a precission built engine. They will smoke on start up, ALL singles do. And the noise is'nt that bad. It's all in the top end." To which I replied, "No, all single cylinders DO NOT smoke and rattle like this. Then I went into my professional history as a MECHANIC for 30 years, and then I told him that a single cyl.is not rocket science and the noise is unexceptable and NOT NORMAL!!!  Then he went as far as saying that "Well why can't I get the bike to lock up or belch smoke like you CLAIM!" (rose his voice on claim) I responded I don't know, why can't you????
Then he said" well people monkey with things and try to claim damage to get knew parts, for all I know YOU loosened the valves to make the rattle"
And that all but ended our conversation. I instructed him to put the engine in that Nick Lin (of Zongshen America) had sent him a MONTH AGO!!!
So I'm really ticked at the dealer and am ?hopeful? of the 'lil Zong.  It is an EMENCLY popular bike in the Phillipeens and Asian markets.
Well enough  of that.  I may just up grade the engine to an XT350(If it's not too tall!) and have 6 gears, 4 valves, twin cams and 30 hp if the 'lil 250 isn't up to the task that is.
Time will tell.
To those that have had good luck with the 'lil Zong, KEEP RIDING!!!!  I loved putting my 'lil Pakmule around. I miss it alot.(Well now we have 8inches of snow so... :evil: )
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Salt Lake City Utah
Rev'em High...
   Rev'em HARD!!!
06 ZS250GS (GONE)

250gs

• View Profile
    • Email
OK Robbie-I understand that you too are peeved . But once again the dealer is the main problem in your case. He is slow to respond. It sounds like he knew the winter would put you off the road for a few months and concentrated on his prime business ie selling new bikes. Remember at Xmas time every dealer is using all his available manpower to sell new bikes in order to stay afloat. He doesn't want to spend time on maintenance and repairs.
You mention that you have contacted the dealer principal for zongshen, Nic , so why don't you go to him direct and make a formal complaint. If he has sent a new engine over then he is paying for the repair under warranty, so let him know they are stalling with the exchange engine (no pun intended) and that you intend to go to the local TV station or media if he doesn't get that bike back to you in say 10-days.

Yes your treatment by the dealer is outrageous so give him a good kick and good luck!

Namikuz

• View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: "250gs"
OK Robbie-I understand that you too are peeved . But once again the dealer is the main problem in your case. He is slow to respond. It sounds like he knew the winter would put you off the road for a few months and concentrated on his prime business ie selling new bikes. Remember at Xmas time every dealer is using all his available manpower to sell new bikes in order to stay afloat. He doesn't want to spend time on maintenance and repairs.
You mention that you have contacted the dealer principal for zongshen, Nic , so why don't you go to him direct and make a formal complaint. If he has sent a new engine over then he is paying for the repair under warranty, so let him know they are stalling with the exchange engine (no pun intended) and that you intend to go to the local TV station or media if he doesn't get that bike back to you in say 10-days.

Yes your treatment by the dealer is outrageous so give him a good kick and good luck!

I have filed a complaint with Nick and have had no action.  I have been incontact with Nick 4 times now and the dealer 3 times that amount.
I know that there will be an occasional glitch in every vehicle line. I understand this fully ,being a professional mechanic 29 years at the dealer, custom and at the factory Proto-type/development levels.  
I have great hopes for the 'lil Zong, I have enjoyed it emencilly the short time I had it. BUT the amount of time to get an engine sent and then all else that's happened, Zongshen is on the line also.
I don't want to sound like I'm bashing the 'lil Zong, I REALLY like it. I just have had a bad experiance in dealing with anybody with it.
As far as the media, I have been incontact with local media, they are concidering it.....
Most likely I'll have to get legal represenitation and pursue it out that way.
AGAIN I LIKE MY 'LIL ZONG ALOT!!!!! :D
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Salt Lake City Utah
Rev'em High...
   Rev'em HARD!!!
06 ZS250GS (GONE)

choylifutsoccer

• View Profile
    • Email
I will admit Nick is a bit hard to work with..he is a nice guy at times but at others..wow, unbelievable.

250gs

• View Profile
    • Email
Now I'm getting interested in seeing if this company is as keen as they say they are to ensure customer satisfaction. I notice their China website is set up to report complaints. Why not send a complaint to the top of the ladder? this is the link direct to their complaint page?

http://www.zongshenmotor.com/zongshen/w ... op3-4b.htm

Its worth a try.

motorstar rider

• View Profile
    • Email
i think zongshen china doesn't have strict quality control of their products thats why some units are ok some are not, or maybe the problem lies with the local assemblers?

Namikuz

• View Profile
    • Email
Well the dealer called and says MY BIKE IS DONE!!!!!!!     (we'll see....) I'll pick it up next week!!!!!  It'll be sink or swim for the dealer. To sue, or not to sue....THAT is their options. ie fixed or not.
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Salt Lake City Utah
Rev'em High...
   Rev'em HARD!!!
06 ZS250GS (GONE)

250gs

• View Profile
    • Email
Quote from: "Namikuz"
Well the dealer called and says MY BIKE IS DONE!!!!!!!     (we'll see....) I'll pick it up next week!!!!!  It'll be sink or swim for the dealer. To sue, or not to sue....THAT is their options. ie fixed or not.

(See "CHIT CHAT" column for follow up to this post)

Namikuz

• View Profile
    • Email
Well the engine is a Kawasaki KZ/KL250 clone from the late 70's through the 80's. NOT A YAMAHA!!!! The yamaha looks VERY similar except, the exhaust port is on the WRONG side of the head.
IT IS A KAWASAKI CLONE!!!!    SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-[ :-[ :-[
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Salt Lake City Utah
Rev'em High...
   Rev'em HARD!!!
06 ZS250GS (GONE)

z250gs

• View Profile
Ah good one. That could be useful for spares one day. Just on the outside the engine cover of the Kawa does'nt look as much like the Zong as the Yamaha does. But you're the mechanic so I'll take your word for it!

Namikuz

• View Profile
    • Email
Ah good one. That could be useful for spares one day. Just on the outside the engine cover of the Kawa does'nt look as much like the Zong as the Yamaha does. But you're the mechanic so I'll take your word for it!
Well, I've been wrong before.......And the side cases of the 'lil Zong does look a lot like the Yamaha. BUT the rest of the engine (exhaust port exit side and other stuff) are a match to the Kawi. Someone had mentioned that the Honda was the direct fitment, though I haven;t found anything from honda that even remotely resembles the Zong.
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Salt Lake City Utah
Rev'em High...
   Rev'em HARD!!!
06 ZS250GS (GONE)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()