ZongshenForum.com
Zongshen Motorcycle, Scooter And ATV Forum

How hard to put together?

Zyphlin · 24 · 7784

Zyphlin

• View Profile
    • Email
I was supposed to get my bike today, but unfortunately the delivery company couldn't find my street and instead of calling back to HQ like they were supposed to to get a mapquest for it they just skipped it. (GRRR)

Anyways, my dad is going to help me put it together but I've got a few general questions.

How difficult is the assembly and what all does it constitute? About how long does it take and does it take up a lot of space? I fear I won't be able to get this thing into my apartment based on the layout of things so I'm likely going to have to put it together actually outside in the parking lot. I'm just trying to get a handle of whats going to be needed from me and what I'll need his help on before it comes in on Monday

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
The bike comes in a steel crate, so I doubt you are going to slide it into the apartment (not to mention with all the extra metal it weighs about 400-450 lbs). The bike itself (once out of the crate) is not difficult to assemble. The hardest part is getting the front wheel on. The only other parts to assemble are  the side mirrors, rear grab bar, and handle bars. Make sure to charge the battery fully before starting.

My recommendation would be to change the oil also. The factory oil is not so good and they fill it WAY too full. This caused me major diffuculties initially. Be sure to put gas in it (duh) and prime the gas through via the overflow hose on the bottom of the carburetor. This should get you going. Let me know if you have any questions.
What?

choylifutsoccer

• View Profile
    • Email
Assembly took me and my dad about 3 hours. Like drummerben said, the hardest part is the front wheel assembly. At times, we needed my mom to come down and help us out a bit. We took off the black plastic engine cover which exposed part of the frame. Then, we rolled the bike partially off the crate, and with a third person, put a car jack under the frame and jacked it up. Oh yea, this has to be done after handlebars are installed. But anyways, jacking up the bike makes the front wheel go in a lot easier.

xanthmo

• AOL Instant Messenger - xanthmo2
    • View Profile
    • http://xanthmo.com
    • Email
The front wheel was tough, I propped the bike up on a Home Depot bucket - but I would not recommend that to anyone.  The car jack was probably a much smarter and safer way to go.

Congrats on the bike Zyphlin - it's good to see the Zongshen community growing!

Marc

• View Profile
    • Email
It's not that anything is particularly confusing, but the more hands you can get to help you, the better off you'll be. I had a hell of a time getting the front tire on because I only had the help of one other person. We finally got another hand to help us, and even with three it was difficult just because the bike was heavy.

A jack is highly recommended ;)

ILL CLICK ENT

• View Profile
    • http://WWW.MYSPACE.COM/ILLCLICKENTERTAINMENT
    • Email
Hey  drummerben, u get ur cdi yet? has that fixed ur problem?
[size=150]Burn Rubber!... Not Your Soul!...[/size]
07 Zongshen 250 GS
95 Suzuki GSX-R 750

Zyphlin

• View Profile
    • Email
Question on this...

What do you have to do and take off to get to the battery. We've got the wheel on finally, and the battery is the last thing we need to do. We got the seat off but unsure of what exactly to remove and how to remove it to get TO the battery to put the electrolite in

ILL CLICK ENT

• View Profile
    • http://WWW.MYSPACE.COM/ILLCLICKENTERTAINMENT
    • Email
Quote from: "Zyphlin"
Question on this...

What do you have to do and take off to get to the battery. We've got the wheel on finally, and the battery is the last thing we need to do. We got the seat off but unsure of what exactly to remove and how to remove it to get TO the battery to put the electrolite in

U have to remove the seats, rear grab bar and a few bolts on the pass. side. Then 1 or 2 bolts by the gas tank. The right cover sould just pop out then.
[size=150]Burn Rubber!... Not Your Soul!...[/size]
07 Zongshen 250 GS
95 Suzuki GSX-R 750

drummerben

• View Profile
    • Email
I don't actually remove the front seat...just the rear. There is a side bolt once the rear seat is popped off--unscrew that. There is another bolt under the rear seat that you must unscrew...and then there is a alan screw at the bottom of the side fairing that must be undone. After that you can pop the fairing and just let it hang from the side to access the battery.
What?

Zyphlin

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks for all the help. I think I've got it all put together.

Unfortunantly, it does me no good.

I went to put the oil in and found that it appears I either:

1) Have no dipstick (hope that's it)

2) HAD a dipstick

I'm thinking its number 2.

We took off the cap that allows us to get to the oil only to find a TIIIIINY little jut of metal coming off it where a dipstick would be, and nothing more. I have a feeling the dipstick broke off and is now in the resevior for the oil. I've got no idea how much, if any, damage that could do if I start the bike so not even doing it yet. I've contacted Vince at ScooterDynasty and he's checking into things. I'd assume a part internally broken would be manufacturer defect but I've got no clue. I wouldn't even care if I don't have a dipstick, its annoying but I can handle it, I just want to ride the damn thing. Not sure what I'm going to do in regards to this yet.

:\

Myth

• View Profile
    • Email
Well Zyphlin, I hate to tell you, but yeah there is a dipstick...   :(

If you could fish it out with some needle nose pliers you might be okay, but Scooter Dynatsy should take care of that.  If not, that's pretty shytty.  As far as checking the oil, it's easier to use the looking glass in my opinion anyways.  I don't even screw with the dipstick.  I personally wouldn't start it either...  I don't know for certain if it would cause damage, but I believe it's ways too risky.

Good luck on that Z.  Hope they get you fixed up and on the road!
[size=150]Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.[/size]

Zyphlin

• View Profile
    • Email
So anyone have any experience with disassembling the motor of the 250? How hard is it to get to where the oil would be kept?

Myth

• View Profile
    • Email
Would I be correct in assuming that you're going to retrieve the dipstick?  I think there's tear-down instructions in the maintenance manual...  I don't have mine handy so I can't look right now.
[size=150]Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.[/size]

Zyphlin

• View Profile
    • Email
OOO! I'll check the manual.

And yes. I have no way to really move the motorcycle to try to get it to a motorcycle repair shop to have them take it apart. My dad has some experience doing some basic mechanic stuff and motorcycle things many years ago so he's going to give it a go monday when he comes up to visit me for the Redskins/Browns game that sunday. So any instructions for sure I could give him...or to know if we could even get to that part...would be helpful.

I want to ride my damn bike! :)

Zyphlin

• View Profile
    • Email
Well, my dad opened up the engine, searched all through there...

and found nothing.

Apparently the dipstick must've broke off BEFOER it was put on my bike, and I just got a broken dipstick to start with not one tha broke off IN my bike.

So I could've been driving it this whole time!  :oops:

On the plus side, it drives fine and I get to ride it when I get home

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()